You like me, you really like me!
I won’t lie, when I started A World of Weird I was worried that it wouldn’t take off. The B-Horror Blog had been very successful, but I often wondered whether that success could be chalked up to good writing or to the fact that I tagged most of the posts with the word “boobs”. Judging from its stats page, the latter had far more to do with its success than the former.
I wasn’t sure, then, if my wit alone could carry a blog, especially not one that was trying to deal with a combination of cutesy games, bizarre erotic novels and oft-unheard of little horror movies. So to be nominated for these awards by Chasm of Thought is, for lack of a better term, FUCKING AWESOME! A big thank you for the nomination, and yet more big thank yous to all those who have popped in to read my reviews and thoughts.
All good things have rules; for the WakuWafu Award these are:
- Thank the person who has nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
- Choose any 3 things you would like to say about yourself to your fellow bloggers.
- Think up 3 questions you would like to ask the people you nominate.
- Give one piece of advice to your fellow bloggers.
- Make sure to tell the WakuWafu people
And for the Starlight Blogger Award these are:
- Thank the giver and link to their blog in your post.
- Answer the 3 questions given to you.
- Please pass the award on to 6 or more other bloggers of your choice and let them know that they have been nominated.
- Include the logo of the award in a post or on your blog. Please never alter the logo and never change the rules.
3 Things About Me:
- I like to fall asleep while watching The Golden Girls.
- I will never buy a book that has a movie poster as its cover.
- When I listen to music I usually imagine how I would perform the song if I were on stage.
Question 1: Which fictional reality would you be happiest living out the rest of your days in?
Answer: The alternate history in Stephen Baxter’s Northland Trilogy (where the ocean never floods Doggerland, the land bridge between Europe and Britain). A fascinating view of how different European history could have been with a culture to rival the Romans, I hope to re-read and review these books in the near future.
Question 2: Which person do you respect most? Can be fictional or real, known personally or not. You also don’t have to necessarily like them.
Answer: This sounds very corny but the person I respect the most is my mother.
Question 3: What made you want to start blogging, and what’ve your experiences been like so far?
Answer: I started The B-Horror Blog at the same time I started my master’s degree as a way of ignoring the fact that I had chosen to do a master’s degree. It was a fantastic experience and allowed me to network with a bunch of other really cool bloggers, and a few directors and actors here and there who would send me free movies.
I started A World of Weird because, with my master’s degree finally finished, the whole reason behind running the old blog fell away. I also just got a little bored reviewing nothing but rubbish movies, and thought that this would be a good way to make sure I kept up with my writing as well as connecting with people who have interests beyond just awful movies. So far it’s been a great experience and an oddly more relaxing one because A World of Weird is more just me putting my thoughts about things I like out there and seeing what people think, rather than trying to figure out what people want and forcing myself to cater to it (which was the case with The B-Horror Blog). As a blogger I’ve also grown in that I will now accept free games and books in addition to free movies 😉
- You wake up one morning transformed into a character from The Simpsons; which one are you and why?
- If you could live in any historical period, which would you choose and why?
- Of your own blog posts, which one is your favourite and why?
Apparently I’m meant to give you some advice.
Blog about whatever you want. I have read some blogs that, on the surface, have the most mundane subject matter, but because they’re written by people who genuinely have an interest in what they’re writing about the posts and stories become riveting and hold your attention.
And while you’re busy blogging about whatever the hell you want, don’t forget to carry on and do that in your day-to-day life as well. Do you (but not in public, because that’s unseemly) and be passionate about whatever interests you. I have a master’s degree in ancient history specialising in minor Roman deities and think that Kirby’s Epic Yarn is the pinnacle of human achievement. If it interests you and it brings you joy, run with it without apology.
And The Nominees Are:
- Literary Homicide With Tropical Mary – Tropical Mary’s my home girl with a sense of humour drier than the Sahara who’s willing to read far worse things than I think I ever could (Crystal Cabbage: Meth Whore, for example)…
- SevenFlorins Casual Reviews – The first review I read here was for The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and I absolutely loved the casual and fun approach to gaming. If only more gamers were like this, maybe Nintendo would eventually implement voice chat in Splatoon.
- Book Owly – A much quieter part of the internet than I usually frequent, this is where I pop in to see what good books are out there.
- CinemaSchminema – This is a blog I’ve followed for years. Movie reviews covering a variety of genres, all very cleverly and wittily put together.
- Seven Doors of Cinema – Another blog I’ve been following for years, this one takes a very intellectual approach to some incredibly niche and obscure little horror films.
- Argh! By Girl Horror – Still in its early days, I’ve really enjoyed what I’ve seen on this blog so far and hope to see it go far in the future.
Right, that’s everything 🙂 Thank you again to Chasm of Thought for the nomination, and here’s to us all having a successful 2016!